I think there are really hundreds of great reasons to learn Classical Guitar and it’s been really tricky to stick to 10 but here are just a few of my favorites:
1) The Guitar, Your Own Personal Orchestra – Segovia apparently said that the guitar is “like an orchestra through the wrong end of a telescope”. Playing classical guitar is like having your own mini orchestra at your fingertips.
2) Harmony – Classical guitar allows you to experience and create harmony. This makes it a great choice for music students, composers and music enthusiasts.
3) You Can Take it Anywhere! It’s so easy for you to take the guitar with you for example to parks, out in nature or on the beach. Wherever you go your guitar can go too and you’ll probably make some new friends along the way!
4) Play Music from All Over the World Classical guitar offers a wide range of incredible music from the Rennaisance, Baroque, Classical and Romantic eras right up to the present day as well as music from Spain, Latin America, America, Japan, China and much more. It’s an incredibly eclectic instrument with lots to offer.
5) It’s Affordable – Even really good guitars are relatively cheap compared to other instruments and offer incredible value. Go on treat yourself!
6) Increase Your Self Confidence Pupils often find their self confidence increasing greatly as they master new skills and hone their talents on the instrument.
7) Unleash Your Creativity and Self Expression It feels amazing to create music and unleash your own self expression and Classical guitar is perfect for improvising and composing your own music too.
8) Music is Good for You! – Well we all knew this anyway but did you know that music can cause you to release Dopamine, a “feel good” neuro-transmitter. It has also been shown to reduce the stress hormone Cortisol in the body. I always knew playing guitar was good for you!
9) It’s Just so Beautiful! The sound of a classical guitar is just beautiful, there is really nothing like it. Enough said.
10) Classical Guitar is Fantastic for Yougsters and Music students. It’s wonderful to have music in your life and guitar is ideal for players of all ages and abilities allowing you to explore the wonders of music and to build your skills. For music students it can be a fantastic addition to their studies especially as a harmony instrument.
James Rippingale is a professional Classical Guitarist, specialist guitar tutor at Wells Cathedral School (one of the UK’s top specialist music schools) and founding director of Glastonbury Guitar Academy which offers in person and online classical guitar lessons and events to enthusiastic students from around the world.
Find out more and to book your classical guitar taster lesson click here.